22 de noviembre de 2006

Identidad Nacional

Impresiones de un científico Inglés sobre una conferencia en Corea del Sur.
I came back from South Korea today. Scientists have celebrity status. It was quite an experience. For example, in Daegu they had a banner across the dual carriageway to welcome 5 of us. It was a bit crazy and unbelievable.

On the trains (the bullet trains) they have huge LG screens and on these screens they present the story of some Korean scientist or engineer (they show you his baby photos and how he went to the USA and how he invented a new adhesive for a liquid crystal display screen etc). I mean, here we revere ignorant people such as David Beckam but in Korea they are praising scientists and engineers on the railway TV for all the passengers to see. I mean, it was difficult to believe for I live in Britain and I am brainwashed into thinking that someone such as David Beckham makes a greater contribution.
No desesperes. No siempore fue así. Pensá en esta frase de Alberdi:

En Inglaterra , es decir, en el país mas libre y próspero del mundo, por una estatua consagrada a un soldado se ven diez dedicadas a grandes hombres de Estado, a grandes inventores, a grandes viajeros, o exploradores, a grandes y útiles talentos. Los grandes guerreros ceden allí su puesto de honor a los grandes arquitectos, a los grandes ingenieros, a los grandes agricultores, a los grandes genios del arte y de las ciencias.
Juan Bautista Alberdi

No hay comentarios.:

Related Posts with Thumbnails